Sunday, October 12, 2014

Abreaction in South Park (Lorde's "Royals" and Randy)

I regularly watch South Park with my sons.  It helps keep me current on the culture and news (I just can't watch Fox or CNN any more--they're both so jaundiced), and more importantly it allows me to laugh with my sons.

In "The Cissy," Matt and Trey once again make fun of political correctness.  This time it's in the context of transgender rights.  At the end of the episode, thought, the writers are sympathetic to those at whose expense they give us humor.  They also make fun of "Autotune"--in this day and age, it seems true that you don't have to have a good voice to make it in the world of pop music.  But underneath decrying political correctness and the absurdity of our idolization of pop music stars lies a different word, a different voice--the word and voice of Grace.

I didn't realize the magnitude of the word of Grace that Sharon spoke to Randy until I looked into Lorde's music this morning.  Lorde's music directly refutes and exposes the absurdity of our culture's obsession with success (Maybach's and Cristal) and celebrity status (who we treat like "Royals").

As I watched the video "Royals," I was struck with tears of joy and wonder.  Why did Matt and Trey choose Randy to be Lorde?  Why not one of the kids?  Why not one of the other parents?  Why Randy?  (A writer from Spin Magazine has determined that Randy is Lorde, and is going to expose him.  He decides not to, because he is struck by the humanity of Lorde's/Randy's music.  In this day and age, does any reporter ever make such a decision?)

It helps to understand Randy's identity.  He's a geologist--not a very sexy or high-paying job.  He's been married to Sharon for a long time.  His son Stan is a good kid, but nerdy, not one of the "popular kids."  His daughter, Shelly, is always screaming (and I do mean screaming): "Leave me alone Dad.  Stop nagging me all the time...You don't even understand me."  Randy is a typical middle-aged, middle class man--a group of people that seem to be given no respect any more, by anyone!  Anyone, that is, except Matt and Trey.

Matt and Trey actually laud Lorde's music (despite the Autotune)--Sharon says that those who reject her music have lost touch with "being human."  Lorde's music says that it's okay to live mundane lives--one's of little worldly success.  In fact, one gets the distinct impression that she's saying that such people are actually the "Royals."  So having Randy be Lorde is simply genius--it's a word of respite to the least-liked, and least understood, group in America--middle-aged men.  It's certainly that way in God's kingdom.  He didn't come for the rich, successful, those venerated by the world.  He came for those oppressed by or simply ignored by the world.  Jesus came for folks like Randy.  Randy is the true "Royal" in God's economy of things--in God's kingdom.

1 comment:

  1. Funny. I've watching South Park with my oldest all afternoon. His favorite on the show is Randy, too. And, yes you are correct in stating that that Grace means a lot to someone like Randy. It's the Hope people like Him & I cling to tightly!

    ReplyDelete